Wednesday 6 October 2010

Lamb Shanks Braised in Red Wine with Potato, Apple and Celeriac Mash


Last night I felt like doing some real cooking rather than just a reheat so I went all out! I got the Lamb Shanks Braised in Red Wine recipe from the October 2010 issue of Olive magazine which was from the Greedy Gourmet blog while the Potato, Apple and Celeriac Mash I cobbled together from a few recipes so I'll type that one in below.
In the meantime, lets talk about the lamb. It was a really easy recipe to follow, you only need a few spare minutes in mid-afternoon to brown the lamb and prepare the onions and garlic then everything goes in the oven for 4 hours. I started at about 3:30pm and dished up by 8pm - we're used to eating quite late so that was fine for us! By the time we ate, we were ready to eat our fingers as the smells coming from the kitchen were amazing! The lamb was beautifully cooked, it just fell off the bone when you showed it a knife and there was lots if nice sauce to go with it. I would/did change a couple of things; I cut the onion into wedges rather than halves as I didn't want to blend the sauce at the end - I like onion and garlic bits!! I used the sugar but I really don't think it needs so much - I found the sauce very sweet. I didn't find I needed the cornflour to thicken the sauce as it had reduced sufficiently to be perfect. It went very well with the mash and was a great Autumn/Winter dinner.

I am still perfecting the mash recipe (still slightly lumpy - grrrrr!!) but here is the recipe I have...
250g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
250g celeriac, peeled and cut into chunks (smaller than the potato as it takes slightly longer)
2 cox's apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
2tbsp creme fraiche
Salt and pepper

Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
Add the potato, apple and celeriac and boil for 20 minutes or until tender.
Drain and add the creme fraiche and some pepper.
Mash until smooth. A potato ricer migtht give a better finish!

So that's it! I know my photos aren't great (I'm definitely no food stylist!!) but have a go and let me know what you think!

Bye for now,
Natz

No comments:

Post a Comment