Wednesday 13 October 2010

Spicy Meat Gumbo


It was time for a Jamie Oliver dinner last night and there is nothing I like better than his Gumbo. My other half would have it everyday if he could! There is just something about it that just makes you smile when you eat it. This is another dinner where I make double the amount and freeze half of it for use later on. It is full of great spices which means it tastes even better reheated... yummm, I'm salivating thinking about it!! :)

I just want to say a couple more things about this recipe that I do which I think might help anyone else making it. I always take the chicken out at the end, take it off the bone and shred it before mixing it back in. It only takes five minutes and makes it much easier to serve and eat. You can change the amount of chicken, chorizo and sweet potato you put in depending on how much you have. I sometimes only use half the amount of chorizo or chicken and it really doesn't make much difference to the amount of food you get at the end. I would try and get one of the dried chorizo to use rather than the raw chorizo sausages. They tend to have more flavour and I think work much better. If you need to, you can use normal rather than streaky bacon, it doesn't make too much of a difference. Lastly, I serve this in bowls with crusty, buttery bread rather than with rice and it is amazing!! I want more now!!!

I promise you that this recipe isn't as time consuming as it sounds and it is so worth giving it a go. I think anyone could make it as it is very forgiving to mistakes. As you can probably see from my not particularly good picture, we served up and ate before I took the picture - we where too hungry to wait!

This recipe is in the book Jamie's America by Jamie Oliver.

Bye all!!
Natz

No comments:

Post a Comment